Sugah's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sugah's Place

Providing quality Sims 2 downloads, social discussions, group projects, original challenges & forum games in a friendly, fun atmosphere.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Sugah's Place is proud to be one of the last remaining Sims sites devoted entirely to Sims 2. The Ladies of SP welcome you and thank you for being here with us. * See what's NEW by clicking on THIS LINK ...We try to update regularly, so check back often! Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest and 'Tweet' yourself to a little Sugah!! ... Stop by, introduce yourself, play some forum games and schmooze a bit. We're happy to have you.

New-Old Build or New-New Build?

Go down 
+3
okiedokieihooked
Aaroneous
twerplina
7 posters
AuthorMessage
twerplina

twerplina

New-Old Build or New-New Build? Empty
PostSubject: New-Old Build or New-New Build?   New-Old Build or New-New Build? EmptyWed Sep 07, 2016 2:41 pm

Hi folks! I'm seeking out your wisdom regarding computers/OS and the Sims once more.

I currently have a desktop running XP (still) and a MacAir 13" laptop (a sort of hand me down). I mostly use the laptop for internet-related things and use the desktop for TS2, genealogy, financial software and Office. Not only is XP out-of-date, but so are several of my programs (dating from 2009). I can't port them to Apple without losing information and I'm not a big fan OS/X anyway, so I've been thinking of getting a new desktop.

One approach I was thinking of was to look for essentially an 'old' build, i.e., one with Windows 7, but more ram than I currently have. (My present build includes: ASUS P5Q Pro motherboard; E8400 3.0GHz processor; XFX Radeon HD 4850 graphics card and 4 Gb RAM.) I found the following system for sale for $300 Cdn:

Operating System : Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU :Intel Core i5 2300
RAM : 4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8H67-M PRO (LGA 1155)
Graphics: HD7770 Sapphire
Storage : 500GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKX-001CA0
Optical Drives : PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-219L ATA Device

Other than a shortage of RAM, does this system seem like a good one for playing TS2?

Or, should I be looking at putting that money towards a new system, one that would likely have Windows 10 instead?

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

Back to top Go down
Aaroneous

Aaroneous

PostSubject: Re: New-Old Build or New-New Build?   New-Old Build or New-New Build? EmptyWed Sep 07, 2016 5:29 pm

It should work fine with Windows 7, I have 64 bit pro and TS2 has given me no trouble so far. Windows 10 can cause issue with older programs and some people say TS2 works on it, Some say it doesn't. It may depend more on what the users hardware is.

Also something to note is to make sure Your graphics card is not a integrated card(it's built into the motherboard). Those have a tendency to be not as good a separate graphics card and can cause issues with some games.

Anther thing to note is to make sure You have a multi core CPU for Windows 7 and newer OSs(probably Vista as well). multi cores are pretty common these days, So they shouldn't be hard to get a hold of.
Back to top Go down
http://simmanipulator.forumotion.com/
twerplina

twerplina

PostSubject: Re: New-Old Build or New-New Build?   New-Old Build or New-New Build? EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 5:13 pm

Thanks, Aaron.

Now I hope that I won't have a problem with Securom and my CDs. Apparently support for Securom might have been removed from Windows 7 (at least on the system I'm thinking of getting).
Back to top Go down
okiedokieihooked

PostSubject: Re: New-Old Build or New-New Build?   New-Old Build or New-New Build? EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 6:06 pm

Hey Twerp! I read somewhere... maybe here idk... but anyway - that windows 10 did not work w/ the cd/dvd versions of sims 2(which I have) but that it does work with the ultimate collection version. wherever I read that, there was a recommended file to put in that would allow it to work and there was a link. whatever it was, I downloaded it "just in case" I was having trouble because somehow win10 installed itself on my desktop - well my something idk has siince crashed and i have to look for my backup discs. based on all that, I think i like anything that is not 10. New-Old Build or New-New Build? 99672
Back to top Go down
Cher64

Cher64

PostSubject: Re: New-Old Build or New-New Build?   New-Old Build or New-New Build? EmptyFri Sep 09, 2016 9:45 am

With the newer graphics cards, you may find that it doesn't specifically support TS2. At a certain point, one of the updates on my card started causing problems with my game. I rolled back the driver, and everything worked perfectly again. The last time I had my computer in for some work, I told the guys not to let the graphics card update, and they actually disabled its ability to try. Now I don't even have to mess with the annoying "update available" messages. So, my recommendation is make sure you don't allow automatic updates to your graphics card, and be sure to set a restore point before you try any update.
Back to top Go down
twerplina

twerplina

PostSubject: Re: New-Old Build or New-New Build?   New-Old Build or New-New Build? EmptyFri Sep 09, 2016 3:13 pm

okiedokieihooked wrote:
Hey Twerp! I read somewhere... maybe here idk... but anyway - that windows 10 did not work w/ the cd/dvd versions of sims 2(which I have) but that it does work with the ultimate collection version. wherever I read that, there was a recommended file to put in that would allow it to work and there was a link. whatever it was, I downloaded it "just in case" I was having trouble because somehow win10 installed itself on my desktop - well my something idk has siince crashed and i have to look for my backup discs. based on all that, I think i like anything that is not 10. New-Old Build or New-New Build? 99672

Thanks. I bought all the SPs I was missing from eBay several years ago but never added them. I think I'm going to try to go the cd route first, and if that doesn't work, try the Ultimate Collection -- assuming it's still available.

Cher64 wrote:
With the newer graphics cards, you may find that it doesn't specifically support TS2. At a certain point, one of the updates on my card started causing problems with my game. I rolled back the driver, and everything worked perfectly again. The last time I had my computer in for some work, I told the guys not to let the graphics card update, and they actually disabled its ability to try. Now I don't even have to mess with the annoying "update available" messages. So, my recommendation is make sure you don't allow automatic updates to your graphics card, and be sure to set a restore point before you try any update.

Good point, Cher. I stopped updating the graphics card on my current system shortly after I got it. And I'd forgotten about that. I'll have to see how the new one works.
Back to top Go down
Caleb_71

Caleb_71

PostSubject: Re: New-Old Build or New-New Build?   New-Old Build or New-New Build? EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 7:40 am

Socket 1155 came out in 2010 so if it is cheap enough grab it. As for SecuRom, there is a work a work around for Win 7.

If you want an idea of what to build new, I can recommend something.
Back to top Go down
twerplina

twerplina

PostSubject: Re: New-Old Build or New-New Build?   New-Old Build or New-New Build? EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 3:38 pm

Thanks, Russ. I'm still waiting to finalize the purchase of the 'old' system. We set a day and haven't heard back as to where I go to get it. :( So I may be back for some ideas on a new system.
Back to top Go down
Sugah
Admin
Sugah

PostSubject: Re: New-Old Build or New-New Build?   New-Old Build or New-New Build? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2016 3:25 pm

I want to thank everyone for offering assistance/advice to Karen regarding new-old versus new-new build.
I appreciate all of you who came to her aid on this issue.
You guys ROCK!!!

New-Old Build or New-New Build? 28795 New-Old Build or New-New Build? 367799
Back to top Go down
https://sugahsplace.forumotion.net
twerplina

twerplina

PostSubject: Re: New-Old Build or New-New Build?   New-Old Build or New-New Build? EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 9:39 pm

I second that, Sugah! Alas, I never got the system that I asked you guys about. I went to purchase it, and noticed it had Windows 10. The seller said he'd put Win 7 on and bring it to me. But he never showed up, responded to my emails or texts. I mean, if I'd known, I could have put 7 on. So I came to the conclusion that he didn't really want to sell it.  New-Old Build or New-New Build? 503793

I had set aside that week to get all caught up computer wise, since I knew I had a busy period coming up. My head is almost above water now, so I'll be back for more advice, most likely for a new build.
Back to top Go down
mac

mac

PostSubject: Re: New-Old Build or New-New Build?   New-Old Build or New-New Build? EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 9:57 pm

If you're a real download addict, more RAM wouldn't hurt. Say, going to 6Gb or 8Gb. RAM is pretty cheap these days.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New-Old Build or New-New Build?   New-Old Build or New-New Build? Empty

Back to top Go down

New-Old Build or New-New Build?
Page 1 of 1