Sugah's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sugah's Place

Providing quality Sims 2 downloads, social discussions, group projects, original challenges & forum games in a friendly, fun atmosphere.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Sugah's Place is proud to be one of the last remaining Sims sites devoted entirely to Sims 2. The Ladies of SP welcome you and thank you for being here with us. * See what's NEW by clicking on THIS LINK ...We try to update regularly, so check back often! Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest and 'Tweet' yourself to a little Sugah!! ... Stop by, introduce yourself, play some forum games and schmooze a bit. We're happy to have you.

HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sugah
Admin
Sugah

HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  Empty
PostSubject: HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!    HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 1:01 am

I hope someone here can help me.
I am about to go bonkers trying to figure this out.
A few years back, I had the same problem, and I can not recall how to fix it.

I must've put a messed up default mailbox in my downloads folder when I transferred from the old computer game.
When I build on any new lot, this ugly old mailbox seems to be my default one.
It overrides Maxi's original mailbox somehow.
This crappy old mailbox must've come on a lot I downloaded ages ago.
It's there every single time I go to build on a new lot.  HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  971462

HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  ProblematicMailbox_zpswm8vizvu

HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  ProblematicMailboxCODING_zps50ajcr45

I can change it, using the keys to a more desirable looking mailbox.

However, upon trying to build an apartment complex, the apartment mailbox does not show up as it should once I type "changelotzoning apartmentbase" into the cheat box.
I've tried everything to find that ramshackled old mailbox in my files, but can not.

How can I locate it in my folders? Find out the name of it? I've done countless searches.
It is not named with "mailbox", so I do not know how to find it in my files.
I tried downloading a replacement mailbox from a site, but can not locate it in the game, once I go to the catalog.

I've searched some of the coding you see in the second image:
0x1C050000 & 0x39ccf441 & Aviolina ... and nothing even remotely similar pulls up in my files.  No

Does anyone have any ideas?
It's not a problem, if I am just playing a normal lot.
All I have to do is use the keys to change the mailbox to a newer looking one as you can see in the image.
But it screws up the apartment mailbox because it will not allow the cheat code to change it, as it should.

I would greatly appreciate any and all help. If I could only figure out what it's called in my downloads folder...
Then I could get rid of it and hopefully, the Maxis version would return.

HELP!!!

Added later @ 2:00am:

Okay, I found the problematic, ugly old default mailbox file:

dcd74212df8569bb96b4b6689e7018c5_0001

However, upon removing it from my downloads folder, though that ugly mailbox is no longer the default...
I'm not sure if the Maxis one is appearing now, or if it's just a recolor of another default mailbox?!?  Rolling Eyes

HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  ProblematicMailboxStillProblematic_zpsgdbzpwkq

As you can see in the above test, I used the changelotzoning apartmentbase cheat to rezone the lot.
However, the apartment mailbox STILL does not appear. Just the regular one you see in the image.

I can also still click on that mailbox using the keys to change the colors, like in the previous image I posted.

This is really frustrating. I remember awhile ago I stopped downloading lots for just this reason...
And here I ended up inadvertently adding some old files I should have gotten rid of from my old game.
Dang it!  verklempt

I am absolutely open to suggestions.
The idea of having to go through every single undetectable file in my downloads folder...

UGH!!! HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  971462 HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  971462 HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  971462
Back to top Go down
https://sugahsplace.forumotion.net
ilikefishfood

ilikefishfood

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!    HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 8:46 am

You probably picked it up in a download. It allows for mailboxes to be recoloured. There're a few like that, but the most common one is ajsh_mailbox.package. See if you can find it in your DLs and delete it.
Back to top Go down
Sugah
Admin
Sugah

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!    HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 9:21 am

Yes, I did a search in my files for that package last night and nothing came up, Toni.
I figured I inadvertently picked it up when downloading a lot years ago, then transferred it from my old puter, not knowing what a troublesome file it was.

Have you any other thoughts perhaps?
Thank you for any and all help. I truly appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
Cher64

Cher64

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!    HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 9:53 am

Sugah, try AJ-SHH instead of ajsh. I think it was a version of that mailbox that caused problems in my game, including making other recolors not show up.
Back to top Go down
Sugah
Admin
Sugah

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!    HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 9:56 am

When I put AJ-SHH into a search the trash can comes up, not a mailbox.
I don't know if that could be causing the problem, do you, Cher?

Thank you so much for trying to help. I'm so perplexed & frustrated!

Okay, I just checked. The trash can (AJ-SHH) isn't even in my downloads folder.
The location (of AJ-SHH_TrashCan_01) is in a downloads file I've yet to transfer into my new game's folders (still on my desktop) ... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Cher64

Cher64

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!    HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 10:04 am

I can't believe I didn't make a note somewhere about the mailbox that caused my problems. I'm usually so obsessive about that kind of thing. The only other thing I can think of right now is to do a search using "mail" and then remove each file referring to a trashcan separately and see if that fixes the problem. I use "mail" because sometimes a thing is a "mailbox" and sometimes it's a "mail box."

I'll keep poking around my stuff a little and see if I can find anything else.

EEK! I had to edit this because I got trashcan in my head instead of mailbox and typed all the wrong stuff. Sorry!
Back to top Go down
Sugah
Admin
Sugah

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!    HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 10:13 am

I'm pretty sure it's a mailbox issue and not a trash can one though.
Otherwise, when I try to make a residence an apartment complex, the proper community mailbox would show up.
Don't you think?

I am currently using the Sims2Pack Clean Installer to go through ALL of my downloads.
I'm checking to see what files are showing up in red that might affect the game.

If you learn anything else, I'd appreciate you sharing, Lady C.

HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  243713

HAHA! I just saw your modified post.
I DID try putting in all kinds of mailbox, mail, box, etc.
I'm wondering if it's not one of those long numeric/alphabetical names that are meaningless to the average joe!?!
Back to top Go down
Cher64

Cher64

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!    HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 10:16 am

Looks like you posted and I edited at the same time! Sorry for the confusion. HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  503793

I think I may have the one that caused me a problem: SEDD-ALmailbox or SEDD-BUYmailbox or some variation of that.
Back to top Go down
Sugah
Admin
Sugah

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!    HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 10:44 am

That mailbox is actually supposed to HELP FIX the problem, believe it or not!

See HERE and click on Apartment Life Mailbox.
I didn't have it in my downloads folder, so I followed the instructions last night and placed it in my "hacks" folder.
This way, I could find it easily if it caused further problem.
I can't even find the dang thing in any of the game catalogs to put the buyable Apartment Life mailbox on a lot.

I also made sure I did this before downloading the AL mailbox:

For Apartment Life Mailbox to work properly you
must delete the following files if you have them:

In the COLLECTIONS folder 0x6e870b24.package
In the Downloads folder SEDD_BuyMailboxBV.package

If you have anyone else's mailbox files in your downloads or lot files their file name can be ANYTHING. I have no way of knowing what, so use the 50/50 method to isolate if required and delete.

I think that last bit is the problem. I didn't have the Collections folder package OR the SEDD_BuyMailboxBV.package in downloads.
But it MAY be someone else's mailboxes whose names could be ANYTHING!?! HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  971462

I may go ahead and delete the AL Mailbox, but it's supposed to be the only buyable one that helps.
However, since I can't locate it in the catalogs anyway, what good is it doing me?

I just checked through my Sims2Pack Clean Installer scan and nothing is showing up in red that I do not recognize.  No

Thank you, again, for trying to help me, Cher.
I can't tell you how much I'd like to kick myself for adding the mystery file(s) back into my NEW downloads folder!  HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  971462
Back to top Go down
ilikefishfood

ilikefishfood

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!    HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 12:39 pm

You may have to do what we all hate to do so much...a weeding exercise. Remove all your DLs, and replace them in batches, running the game after each. When the problem crops up, you'll have identified the batch that it's in. Remove the last group of files, and start putting them in in smaller patches, until you get down to a handful of files, and then you can add back one at a time.

I'm fortunate, in that mine is named. I don't keep it in my lot-building game for just that reason...I don't want to pass it along to others. On the rare occasion that I do, because it's a vintage-y lot and I want that feel for the mailbox, I give the appropriate instructions to install or not install the AJ-SH can.

If I was in your shoes, I'd turn to the weeding option. I don't see how else you can find it if it's not names. So sorry I can't be of more help.
Back to top Go down
Sugah
Admin
Sugah

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!    HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 12:43 pm

I'm baaaack!
And here's the latest...

Okay, I found about two dozen files that looked like mailboxes/recolors when using Sims2Pack Clean Installer.
I removed those from the downloads folder.
When I loaded up the game, I still found a few recolors for the mailbox (that I STILL can not locate/detect in my downloads).
GRRR!

I tried an experiment.
I put a Maxi's apartment complex on a lot (Boothbay).

As you can see, in Neighborhood Mode, the apartment mailbox shows up!  HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  12612

HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  ApartmentHoodView-MailboxTHERE_zps56lu7y2t

But upon moving someone into the complex, the default, problematic one is there!  HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  971462

HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  ApartmentHoodView-MailboxNOTTHERE_zpsd6geb4dk

Gosh, I hate to say it, but you're probably right, Toni.
NixNivis suggested it, too ...
I may have to do a HUGE cleaning out of my undetectable numerical/alphabetical download files.
Through process of elimination, I may eventually find the culprit.
But I just don't have any more time today to mess with it.

BIG SHOUT OUT to Toni, Cher & NixNivis, for trying to help me with this.
And I am absolutely open to any more suggestions before I go the tedious, time-consuming, process of elimination route. HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  761338
Back to top Go down
Sugah
Admin
Sugah

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!    HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 1:05 pm

EUREKA!!!  HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  366915

I do believe I narrowed the problematic file down to one that is in my Misc Undetectables and Unknowns folder.
Upon removing that sub-folder from my Sims 2 downloads folder, I went back into the game,
put a (way cool) apartment complex on a lot and moved someone on it.

LOOK!!!  dancintrio

HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  APTMAILBOXFIXED-EUREKA_zpstwf8xlmn

Now, all I have to do is go through ONE folder (IF I decide to mess with it ... I have no idea what's actually missing from my game now?!? HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  62525 ).
In that Misc Undetectables and Unknowns folder there are about 425 items to sift through.
That's a hellalot better than having to go through batches of 14,425 downloads or even 4,425 items, right? HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  922586

Will keep you all posted.
Thank you, again, for your help, ladies.
I remain honored to have good people willing to assist one another with TS2 issues after all these years.

HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  701517
Back to top Go down
Cher64

Cher64

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!    HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 1:37 pm

Woohoo! At least it's in a known place now, even if you don't know the exact file yet.

You can open those files up in SimPE to see which ones look like mailboxes. They might even be properly labeled as such under a catalog or text file in SimPE. You may already know this, but in case you don't, here's how I look at files in SimPE:

My default view when I open up the program is Plugin View, which is a tab at the bottom. You can click on that tab to bring up that view if it's not the default when you open SimPE. In that view, the top half is divided into two sections -- Resource Tree and Resource List. Drag a package file into the Resource Tree pane, then click on the resource file you want. In this case, that would most likely be Catalog Description, Text Lists, Name Reference, and/or Texture Image. Not every file has all of these options, but one of those will probably give you an idea of what sort of object is in that package file. Then you click on anything that appears in the Resource List pane for details. Sadly, you have to drag each package file separately and look at it. With over 400 files, this could be just as time consuming as anything else you're trying. HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  971462

BTW, that IS a way cool apartment complex!
Back to top Go down
Sugah
Admin
Sugah

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!    HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 1:51 pm

Cher, there are so many ways to utilize SimPE!
Many of you here know your way around that program so much more than I do.
I hadn't even thought of sifting through the files using SimPE.
I just use the program for recoloring CC.  Rolling Eyes

What I ended up doing, is using the Sims2Pack Clean Installer to search through ONLY my Misc Undetectables and Unknowns folder.
It didn't take any time at all for it to go though that folder (424 items).
What I learned was, many "mystery downloads" are actually categorized in the Installer.
For example, long, numerical/alphabetical names of files look like jibberish to us.
The Installer can read it and tell me, for the most part (there were a few "unknowns") whether something is a wall, a face preset, makeup, clothing, etc., etc.)!
So, I took out all of the "unknowns" (cleaned out about 4 dozen mystery files).
I popped my Misc Undetectables and Unknowns folder back into my Sims 2 downloads and ...

Drum roll please ...

The apartment mailbox is still there!!! WOOT!!!
I am not going to worry about the 50 mystery (unknown) files I kept out.
I am pretty sure I can live without whatever those 50 items are. HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  940149

Here's hoping the problem is solved.
I don't have time to test the issue by building a small apartment complex and seeing if the mailbox changes upon rezoning (changelotzoning apartmentbase), but I might have time to attempt doing so after my grandbaby leaves this evening.

Wish me luck ... HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  266736
And thanks, again, Cher. YOU ROCK!!!  HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  888294
Back to top Go down
ilikefishfood

ilikefishfood

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!    HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 4:43 pm

dancintrio I think a celebration is in order!!! HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  366915 I'll put on the popcorn! Who'll whip us up some punch?! sunny
Back to top Go down
Sugah
Admin
Sugah

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!    HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 5:41 pm

I'm thinking after all of the hours last night (til 3:00am and again, til 2:00pm today) spent trying to figure out the mailbox mess ...
We need to throw in a few pizzas, some vino and/or mimosas, with that popcorn & rum punch! HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  408427

Back to top Go down
NixNivis

NixNivis

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!    HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  EmptyFri May 01, 2015 3:01 am

Hooray! HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  366915 I'm so glad you got it sorted out, Sugah, and even happier you got it without having to do a tedious 50/50 sort. (I think at least ten of my brain cells died of boredom the last time I had to do one of those.) Good job! HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  344738
Back to top Go down
https://nixedsims.wordpress.com/
Cher64

Cher64

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!    HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  EmptyFri May 01, 2015 9:20 am

I'll bring margaritas!

I'm glad you've figured it out, and that there are only a few truly unidentified (for now) files that you can look at another time if you choose.
Back to top Go down
SimEm

SimEm

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!    HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  EmptyFri May 01, 2015 1:14 pm

I'm glad you sorted it out, Sugah. Unfortunately, I didn't have any suggestions to add beyond getting the updated mailbox replacement from Sim a Little Dream a Lot and separating out any mysteriously named packages in batches. Do you use Delphy's Download Organizer? If you come across a problem like this in the future, maybe it would help.
Back to top Go down
http://emsimstories.atspace.com
Sugah
Admin
Sugah

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!    HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  EmptyFri May 01, 2015 3:12 pm

Nix wrote:
...even happier you got it without having to do a tedious 50/50 sort. (I think at least ten of my brain cells died of boredom the last time I had to do one of those.)

Oh! Me, too, Nix! I dreaded having to possibly sort through ALL of my downloads. UGH!!!
I knew it had to be one of those ridiculous all numerical/alphabetical files.
And the Sims2Pack Clean Installer was a huge help! HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  940149

Em wrote:
...getting the updated mailbox replacement from Sim a Little Dream a Lot...

Em, I couldn't find that dang mailbox for the life of me, once I downloaded it from SaLDaL.
I don't know where the heck that thing is in the catalog! HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  553217
(I ended up just removing the file, since I didn't need it afterall.)

I used to have Delphy's Download Organizer and may end up downloading that again, Em.
I remember using it off & on years back. Do you utilize that program?

Bring on the Margaritas, Cher! WOOT! I've got the chips & salsa & queso!!! dancintrio

Thank you, again, for all of your help, ladies.
I truly appreciate it.

HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  1347917903

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!    HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!  Empty

Back to top Go down

HELP! Mailbox Dilemma!!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sugah's Place :: Welcome to Sugah's Place :: Questions & Comments-